It’s a super good idea to read through our tips and extra info before purchasing & colouring your hair.
A preliminary patch test should be conducted before the product is applied.
- Select a small test area of skin behind the ear or in the inner fold of the elbow.
- Wash the test area of skin with mild soap and water and dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a thin coat of your specific Arctic Fox hair color to the test area and let dry.
- Leave the test area uncovered and undisturbed for 24 hours.
- Examine the test area carefully.
- Do not use the product on the person tested if there are any signs of irritation.
Because everyone’s hair is different, do the Strand Test to see the results of color application.
- Shampoo and fully dry the hair. Do NOT use the Conditioner.
- Select approximately 1 inch strands of hair in a hidden area of your hair.
- Evenly distribute the Arctic Fox hair color to the selected test strands until it becomes frothy.
- Wrap the test strands with tin foil to protect the surrounding hair and let the color process for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse the test strands in cool water away from the face until water runs clear.
- Dry hair and see the color outcome. It may be necessary to Pre-Lighten the hair prior to using the Arctic Fox Hair Color for bright and vibrant hair color that matches the color swatch on the bottle.
- You may choose different shade of Arctic Fox hair color, or use Arctic Mist to dilute other colors for lighter shades, and/or mix different colors to achieve different results.
- You may repeat the test as needed.
Because everyone’s hair is different, do the Strand Test and see the result of the color before full application.
- Shampoo and dry hair thoroughly. Do NOT use conditioner.
- Use coconut oil (or protective cream) around hairline and on ears to prevent staining of the skin (optional).
- Remove bottle cap and inner seal.
- Wear protective gloves for application, and pour desired amount into bowl.
- Apply color evenly with color brush. Begin at the root of the hair and work it evenly through to the ends. Start nape of the neck and work upwards through the head and be sure to completely saturate the hair shaft.
- Place a plastic cap over the hair and leave color on for at least 1/2 hour or more. Arctic Fox hair color will NOT damage your hair and has added conditioner, so leaving it on for longer will not hurt a thing.
- Rinse hair in tepid H2O thoroughly, until the water runs clear. For the first rinse, do not rinse hair while showering! Best bet is to rinse in the Kitchen sink with cold water. 🙂
To prevent color bleeding make sure hair is completely dry before sleeping.
In any case if you have stained your skin, remove the stain using the Salon Professional Color Remover or a little rubbing alcohol.
Although fading will occur naturally, here are a few suggestions things you should try to AVOID to get the most out of your color:
- Excessive exposure to water and/or sunlight.
- Frequent shampooing of hair and using Deep Cleansing or anti dandruff shampoo.
- Using alcohol based hairspray, gel or mousse and other alcohol based hair products.
- Saltwater (Beach) and Chlorine water (Swimming pools).
- Wear clothes you don’t mind staining for the process of coloring your hair. Also use old towels you don’t mind staining for the process of coloring your hair.
- Apply protection cream or petroleum jelly around the hairline, around the ears and neck to protect your skin from staining. Avoid getting any petroleum jelly on hair because hair color will not be able to color hair with petroleum.
- Protect the floor with old towels you don’t mind staining or use the newspapers or trash bags to cover the floor.
- Wear plastic gloves to protect your hands from staining.
- Rinse in a stainless sink if possible, some colors may stain white sinks and bathtubs.
The quick answer is anywhere between 4-8 weeks. There is a big variance because factors like hair health and care regiment will play a big role. Arctic Fox have formulated their colours to be one of the longest lasting semi-permanents available, but for the best results you will have to take care of your colour. The best practice to extend the life of your colour would be to wash your hair less frequently, and when you do wash, use a sulphate-free shampoo and wash your hair in COLD water. Yes… COLD. Dry shampoo can be great to extend the time between washing. Try to avoid chlorinated and salt water. Lastly, don’t worry too much. We have more colour for you if you don’t like cold showers and love swimming.
We can not guarantee the length a colour will stay or the effectiveness of a colour on anyones hair as there are just so many variables. If you are planning on purchasing multiple bottles it can be a good idea to purchase just one bottle to start with as a tester.
Yes and no… If you want bright and vivid colours, then your hair will need to be light, and if you don’t have naturally light hair then you will have to lighten before applying. The darker your hair is at the time of application, the more subtle the colour will show on your hair after application. We recommend your hair is lightened to level 10 to achieve the colour closest to the swatch.
- Wash and towel dry hair.
- Apply evenly with a tint brush.
- Leave on for 35 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water without shampoo.
Here’s a general rule: the whiter your hair, the better the results. If you hair has yellow tones, use a toner first. Having toned platinum hair is the best way to achieve the intended look!
Depending on the colour, it will last 4-8 weeks. Pinks and reds latch on to hair the longest, then purple and blues, after that green, orange and yellows, and lastly silver or white. Because pastel shades have less concentrated pigment, they are more temporary than darker colours. The bottom line is: no colour dyes are permanent. All non-natural coloured dyes are temporary, so dying your hair every month is usually necessary to keep up a vibrant colour.
The yellow in your hair can make blue tones green. Yellow + Blue = Green, so a light turquoise should always look more blue than green in the bottle to create a blue green.
Avoid these things: excessive washing, heat (like hot water and heated styling tools), swimming, harsh shampoos, and sunlight.
Crush up some Vitamin C powder in shampoo and wash your hair with the mixture.